How to legally change your name in Victoria

Updated: May 14, 2020

Okay, so you’ve decided you want to change your name, but are caught in the overwhelming and confusing legal process? We’ve been there, that’s why we have created this kick ass guide to make this journey enjoyable and stress free (as it should be). 

Where to start

In Victoria it is possible to legally change your name, for anyone under 18 you will need parental/guardian approval though. The process starts with Births, Deaths and Marriages.

The process to legally change your name has all moved online (conveniently). This means that all you need to do is fill out an online application and then wait for the magic to happen. 

Remember you can only change your name once in a 12 month period and only 3 times in your LIFETIME! 

The online process

You will be asked to provide current details such as: 

  • Name and Date of Birth

  • A clear reason for the change of name 

  • Original (not a copy) birth certificate, you will need to post this so they can replace it with your new name change certificate (If you do not have your original birth certificate then you need to provide a statutory declaration explaining why, don’t worry this process is fairly simple)

  • Credit history (add details)

  • Proof of your identity (see below list)

  • Your sex (what is says on your current Birth Certificate, if you want to change this please see our Change of Sex process)

  • Any previous names you’ve been known by

  • Your chosen name (what you want your new certificate to say)

  • Chosen family name

  • Chosen given name

  • Chosen other given name 

Remember you can basically change your name to anything, check out the Naming Restrictions for more. You can also change your first and last name at the same time.

Providing certified documents

You will need to provide certified copies of your documents, this process involves someone with legal authority. Make copies of your documents, bring them to the certified person (list here) along with the originals. They will examine your copies to see if they are true copies, then stamp and sign the copies. This is what you will provide to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

  1. Apply online for your change of name certificate and pay $110.50

  2. Email with your certified documents as an attachment (not an image in the email body) and quote your Order number, you will get this number once you have completed your application in step 1. OR you can digitally upload your documents near the end of the online application.

  3. Once you have received your change of name certificate (in the mail) it is time to change your name everywhere you want to, (see list below).

Proof of identity

You will need the following to prove your identity, the documents you provide need to be current and not expired

  • Australian Passport or ImmiCard and 

  • Australian driver licence or learner permit

If you do not have both of these documents you will need to provide all three of the following: 

  • Australian drivers licence or learner permit

  • Medicare card

  • Credit or debit card

If you still do not have all of these then you can provide any 3 of the following: 

  • Firearm licence 

  • Foreign passport 

  • Security guard/crowd control licence 

  • Tertiary education ID (with photo) 

  • Working With Children's check card

  • Australian birth certificate or Australian citizenship certificate 

  • Marriage certificate 

  • Medicare card 

  • Visa verification (printed visa status from VEVO), 

  • Credit or debit card 

  • Centrelink card (pension concession card, healthcare card, seniors card, department of veterans affairs card) 

  • Lease agreement or rates notice (issued in the last 12 months), 

  • Bank statements

  • Superannuation fund statement

  • Utility account (gas, water, electricity, mobile or home phone)

All documents must be in English, if not click HERE.

What to update when you receive your Change of Name Certificate

  • Drivers licence or Learners permit

  • Immigration documents

  • Passport (Australian or another country)

  • Bank accounts

  • Electoral enrolment with the AEC

  • Utility accounts

  • Superannuation

  • Insurance, eg: car, health etc

  • Email

  • Medicare or other healthcare providers

  • With your GP/psychologist and other health practitioners

  • Work and employee documents

  • School, university or TAFE

  • UBER account and other apps you use

  • Debt collectors (if you have contact with them)

  • Rental records (real estate agency)

  • Accountant, conveyancer, lawyer etc.

  • Memberships, e.g. Library, Gym, Leisure Centre etc.

Are you ready?

To start the process of changing your name in Victoria, apply here.

21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Acknowledgment of Country

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia

and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture.

We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.

Always was. Always will be.

ABN 89 248 637 042

© 2019 SPEAK


Facebook: @Speakaustralia

Instagram: @Speakaus

Wadawurrung Country